Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pretty Pictures

My birthday is coming up and I have decided that I want one of them fancy new-fangled digital cameras. Now I have never owned a camera in my life unless you count those disposable cameras you buy at the grocery store. So I'm going to need some help. I've been doing a little research and I think I know what I like but I need a little explaining on a few things.

1 - What is the least zoom and megapixel capacity I should look for? I'm not getting anything overly high-tech because I think that would be overkill, but I do want to take fairly nice pictures. So I'm thinking about 8 megapixels and 4x zoom - does that sound good?

2 - What's the whole normal, macro and digital macro stuff mean when it's talking about the focusing range & what do I want to look for?

3 - What does the ISO sensitivity mean?

I want something that I can play around with and learn a few things so if you have any advice - let me be your grasshopper and share with me your knowledge of the ways of photography and cameras. As a reward, I'll share lots of purty, purty pictures with you!

4 comments:

SILLYA said...

ummm... I don't know...don't have some smart brothers that may be able to help?

Unknown said...

pretty sure you don't want to go any lower than 8 pixels if you want crisp pictures. For the zoom 4 is pretty good. It all depends on how far away from something you want to stand and be able to take a good picture. as far as 2 and 3 I have no idea.

liz said...

I don't personally have much idea, but Kaleb does. Talk to him :) Or one of those numerous smart brothers before mentioned by sillya.

Kaleb actually did research the topic this summer before purchasing himself one. His budget was pretty limited though...

Lotte said...

Thank-you for your input. I did end up purchasing one that is rather out of my price range. I will probably be returning it and going with something more realistic for my budget.