Friday, July 18, 2008

Unfazed

So as I am walking down the stairs with the Naughty Toddler the other day, he looks up at me and says, "Mom, I like spankings!"
"Oh, really?", I reply. "Would you like one right now?"
"Sure!", says he.
So I give him a little swat and he grins up at me, "See, I liked it!"

Sometimes I worry that nothing seems to bother that child. Ask him if he wants to do something crazy, like hang from the roof from his toes and he deliberates for a bit - "Hmmmm" - and then "Sure!" He has started listening better when I explain why he shouldn't do certain things - like climb out his second-story bedroom window or play in the middle of the road or jump into the deep end of the pool. However, I am not sure that he is really understanding all that I am trying to explain, because the general response is, "It's ok, Mom. I won't get hurt" as he runs off to do it anyway.

So funny to see the difference between those two boys. SP as Mr. Careful Consideration of every new challenge so that I hardly ever had to worry about him doing something that was going to be harmful and NT who just does every little thing that pops into his head! I've really had to hustle to keep up with him and make sure that he learns how to get out of the many situations he thinks himself into before he gets into them. I've had to learn to recognize the look on his face that means he's thinking of a new adventure, think of the most bizarre thing possible, and then head him off! Sometimes it even works!

2 comments:

The Davies Family said...

I can't believe how much NT has grown...it seems like forever and he wasn't talking that much then. He likes spankings..I'll give you a spanking! Can't wait to see you guys..we leave for Utah on Tuesday..that whole week will be wedding stuff but then we are heading up to the cabin and we'll stop in Logan. I'll give you a call.

Lotte said...

yay! I'm excited to see you, too!