Monday, June 1, 2009

Trip to the Canyon

While my parents were here last weekend, we took a drive up to one of the canyons. Here are a few of the pictures I took.


There were runoff waterfalls on either side of the canyon. This is the one on the opposite side of the canyon that we were on and I didn't see anyway to get to this one. However, some other people who were up exploring told us we could walk up to the one on our side. So we did.



Here is the waterfall SP and I hiked up to. NT fell asleep in the car so Grandma generously offered to stay with him and Grandpa had his cowboy boots on which are not very well suited to hiking, so it was just us two.



That little black and white spot on the flat, gravelly part is Grandpa headed back to the car.




Here is a closer view of the waterfall. You can see that there was still quite a bit of unmelted snow in the shaded area to the right of the fall.



This is a hawk we saw soaring as we hiked back to the car.



This is SP as he insists on trying to give me a heart attack by walking as close to the edge of the dropoff as possible!
This is what is left of the runoff stream 50 yards downhill of the waterfall. The rest disappears into the rocks.


This is a picture of one of the rocks SP had to collect for his cousin.



I'm not sure what this pan thingy is - I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the quarry?? Feel free to enlighten me if you have any ideas.




Someone apparently loves Kelly. Just so you know.



This is the view of the other side of the canyon from the waterfall we hiked to.


We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place with areas like this 15 minutes from our house!

3 comments:

JimMuy said...

You tell Grandpa: cowboy boots is fine fer walking, hiking or whatever--he was maybe lookin' fer an excuse to rest.

Plus: Hikin' is for people who got too much time on their hands. Sittin' is where it's at.

SuZaNNe said...

This is your cousin :) Grandma gave us your blog address. I hope it's okay if we read your blog and try to keep in touch?

Lotte said...

JimMuy - Why don't you tell Grandpa what to do! And you know that I agree with you on the sittin' vs. hikin' debate. Unfortunately, I have not yet convinced the boys of the virtues of sitting yet.

Suzy - Hi! I don't mind at all - you know I've been blog-stalking you!