It has obviously been too long since my last physics lesson because I forgot Newton's Fourth Law which states that when a boy intersects with a body of water, they must interact. Or, in other words, boy+Water=wet.
Being rednecks, we were able to improvise:
After the refreshing dip, we walked the trail around the lake. During one of the many "rest" breaks we took while The Mister tried to catch a fish, NT found this treasure.
I had to insist that he stop touching it since he had ideas of taking it home and perhaps having it for dinner. At least someone caught a fish!
Meanwhile, the entire walk around the lake SP asked approximately 718 times why he couldn't just try to ride on this dead tree that other rednecks were using as an improvised canoe. After explaining that we did not have swim shorts and The Mister wasn't towing him out there in his underwear the first 20 times that he asked, I began tuning him out. I instead took a picture of a wildflower for each time that he asked. I'm not sure which of us was more distressing to The Mister!
I guarantee that if he happens to look over as I post this picture, he will ask at least one more time why we insisted on ruining his childhood by not letting him go sit on the log with everyone else.
I'm not sure why I bothered having the boys take off their shorts during the time that they swam because they still managed to wade out in the lake several times during The Mister's fish breaks. Which led to the redneck clothes drying method:
On the way home, we stopped here:
Here the boys were able to put on their shorts - which were now dry - and immediately wade into the spring water, getting them wet again.
After this stop, we headed for home once again. I believe The Mister had vague ambitions of stopping at the dam in order to try his luck fishing again. However, I made the suggestion of turning off at one of the sideroads, just to see what might be up there. Turns out this was the road to Ephraim's grave. Neither of us had ever been there so we decided to check it out. After all, it was only 9 miles away so it wouldn't take too long.
HAHAHAHA! It turns out that on dirt roads through the mountains, you can't drive as fast as you do on the highway! SP spent the next 45 minutes asking if we were there yet while The Mister and I put bets on how many times we would hear that question before reaching our destination. NT spent the time like this:
We did see a deer run across the road which pleased The Mister to no end because I then made him stop and back up and then drive forward again several times in order to get the right angle to photograph the deer. So worth it!
We finally made it to Ephraim's grave. I managed to get NT to stop crying after being woken prematurely long enough to take this picture in order to memorialize this unforgettable family trip.
After this, we debated which way to go home: we could go back the way we came or trust in the sign we had seen that told us that Blacksmith Fork canyon was only another 6 miles. (Technically, it said that Left Hand Fork - which is accessed from Blacksmith Fork canyon - was only 6 miles away, so we may have made some assumptions.) After deciding to go the way of Left Hand Fork, we spent the next hour and a half traversing up and down mountainsides and through valleys in search of civilization. We finally made it to Hardware Ranch and The Mister breathed a HUGE sigh of relief, knowing that we were not going to be lost in the mountains forever, listening to me ask again how glad he was that I had him fill up the gas tank before we left!
To help The Mister come to terms with the lost fishing time and as a reward for survival, we stopped at McDonalds so he and the boys could have cheeseburgers while I had a shake.
Fun times!




4 comments:
What a hilarious adventure! We had heard about the road that goes from Blacksmith Fork Canyon to Logan Canyon. Maybe we'll have to get directions from you and take it this weekend for our own adventure!
That's sounds fun. These things are what memories are made of
Jill - The Mister may not agree, but I am a GREAT navigator!
Ali - You speak as if you have had previous experiences! ;-)
Loved this post. You guys are so fun. Hope you are doing well.
-The Hursts
Post a Comment