Saturday, October 18, 2008

Shelob

UPDATED!!!

My husband decided to get ambitious and clean out the cooler that has been sitting on the back porch. Thankfully, this action may have saved our lives, our very existences!

It seems that one of Satan's spawn had taken refuge under the lid. This creature of darkest night, this being of unimaginable vileness, this fiendish abomination had established for itself a base with the undeniable intent of infiltrating my house -MY HOUSE! - with its nefarious offspring.

Imagine my horror, as the man whose preferred method of dealing with these eight-legged beasts is to squish them with his thumb (yes, he ACTUALLY touches them!), screamed with fright! as this monster attempted to protect its illegally occupied territory! Overcoming his natural aversion and terror of such an evil creature, he killed the brute in an incredible act of courage.

I hesitate to post the pictures that I bravely took. I worry that the sheer gruesomeness of these pictures will exceed the PG limit that I have for this blog. However, I also believe strongly that one must know one's enemies and so it is in the interest of public awareness that I publish these pictures.






This is the spider after it had been vanquished. IT'S HUGE! That's a regular-sized paper towel. If I had more courage, I would have gotten closer and had a better picture so that you could see all the little spiky hairs that covered it's body and legs.

This is a picture of the egg-sac. Obviously this thing was not fooling around. I'm pretty sure it's goal was world domination!


P.S. If you happen to know the name of this spider, please tell!

UPDATE: It seems that this particular breed of evil is known as a cat-faced orb weaver. I'm not going to mention names, but the person who mentioned to me that her husband used to play with these spiders as a child should see about counseling for said husband.

7 comments:

SILLYA said...

Rye just said that it's name is "Disgusting"!

I believe that name fits appropriately.

Good thing you got him/her before he took over or continued to procreate...it didn't look like it would take long for world domination!

Unknown said...

Check out this web site and see if it is on there. I know you will love the name. http://www.spiderzrule.com/spiderphotos.htm
I think it is a marbled orb weaver

SILLYA said...

i went to a friends house last night...the son of the family could not wait to show me what he had caught... his prize: Shelob's twin brother! Mom and Dad said they thought it was a CAT spider....who knows

The Davies Family said...

All I can say is "get away from my glasses!" remember that walk and the Hobo Spider..yuck!
That was hilarious to read! I know the feeling! eeewww..and if hubby had a little scream fest..you know it had to be bad. I'm glad you saved us all from world domination!

Unknown said...

catface that is what jared says there butts look like a cat face

wRitErsbLock said...

OMG. that is disgusting and appalling and will likely give me nightmares tonight.

Lotte said...

sillya - Rye is perhaps a little kind in her description.

alicia - I tried looking at that website. It creeped me out and I had to stop and look up pictures of unicorns.

the davies fam - You had the opportunity of seeing me at my finest against the spider threat. It's a good thing the husband was there - otherwise I may have gathered up the children and abandoned the house. I'm sure in a time we could have replaced all of our belongings.

WB - I am sorry for the nightmares. Perhaps you will rest easier knowing that it is dead?