Monday, January 19, 2009

When Moms Become Mothers

In my family, we call my parents Mother and Father. Some of our peers thought that was a little weird but that's what we grew up with and it seemed weird to us to consider calling them anything different. I always figured it was because we grew up near my Father's parents and he called them Mother and Father.

So it has been interesting to watch as my boys discover the different names that they can use to identify me. When SP learned my name, he tried it out once in awhile but I don't think he was very comfortable and he quit using it rather quickly. NT has been a little more at ease with it and tends to use it whenever he doesn't think he has my full attention. SP has a tendency to correct this usage. He generally puts on his "big brother/teacher voice" and says, "NT, we call our mom, Mom, not Lotte." However, after spending the holiday with the Old Folks and hearing us call them Mother and Father, I heard him say, "NT, we don't call Mom Lotte. When we're little, we call her Mom and when we're grown up, then we'll call her Mother."

I wonder if I get a raise with that promotion...

2 comments:

Nicole Leavitt said...

Haha that is so cute! Chayse calls me by my name sometimes and thinks he is pretty freakin hilarious!

C Dawn's bucket said...

have you heard the song "Fore Mama was Mama" by Clay Walker?