Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Mote in My Eye

I had a dream last night. I was hiking along this canyon with a couple of my brothers. As we walked along, we watched this scrolling signboard that ran along the rim of the other side of the canyon. It was kind of like those electronic signs that you see in basketball arenas - except this one had been built by ancient Indians and instead of English letters, it was hieroglyphics. I couldn't believe how advanced those ancient Indians had been. But in the back of my head I knew it was a dream and I remember hoping that it didn't turn into a water dream because that's generally how those dreams go. They start out near a waterway of some sort, usually with a canyon and then I have to cross the river and the bridge is collapsing or someone falls in or it's just a stream and I can wade across but suddenly it floods. Fun stuff like that.

This one was just a little different though. Somehow I had gotten something in my eye and it was scratching my eye everytime I blinked or moved my eye. As I was wondering about this new development, NT woke me up wanting something to drink. So I got up and as he went to the bathroom, I got his drink. As I was getting back into bed, I realized that whatever was scratching my eye in my dream was still there. Whatever it was, it was on my eye - it was stuck up under my eyelid. I tried rubbing it but it didn't do anything. I tried flushing it out with saline but that only made it hurt worse. I tried pulling my eyelid away from my eye and reaching in there with my fingernail but that didn't help either. Finally, in desperation, I decided to put in my contact. I thought that maybe it would help protect the surface of my eye since whatever was in there seemed firmly lodged in my eyelid. It didn't hurt so much when my eye was open - only when it was closed and my eye moved back and forth. I thought if that worked, I could just sleep with my contact in for the rest of the night and then go to a doctor in the morning. However, having the contact in didn't seem to make any difference. So I took it out again. Which must have finally dislodged whatever was in there. It stopped scratching and I was able to go back to sleep.

Aren't you glad I told you all that?

3 comments:

SILLYA said...

I thought you were going to say that your contact was already in there...stuck...I hear that is a bit painful.

But let's get back to those hieroglyphics-- those were some happinin' ancients..eh?

The Davies Family said...

I did too actually..and now I just don't know WHAT it was..so what was it?
And heck ya..those ancients knew what they were doing..it was probably announcing which tribe won a battle or lacrosse or something like that

B-la said...

You always have me laughing. You are such a good story teller. Keep em coming!