Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gym Shorts

Maybe I'll share one little story before I go to bed since all (one) of you begged for it.

Sometimes, when I think of Gym Shorts, I start giggling uncontrollably before I even think of a particular incident. But I think this one is my favorite. Gym Shorts was fluent in Spanish - he spent 2 years in Mexico (LDS mission). I spent two years learning Spanish in high school. So you would assume that he would be the expert on the language. However, I still disagree with his translation of Assay Wipay. (If I knew how to do the cool little accent over the e, I would do that. But I don't so you will have to bear with me on my Anglicized version of the name)

See, he had really short, curly hair so they called him Brillo Pad. Which apparently translates to Assay Wipay. I think our coverage of cleaning supplies in Spanish class was limited to jabon, so I can't say for sure that Assay Wipay does not actually translate to Brillo Pad. But, in the words of Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

P.S. In case you happen to be feeling bad for Gym Shorts, I can assure you that he fully deserved that nickname. I don't believe I have ever met anyone who was so thoroughly convinced of his lofty station in comparison of those around him.

3 comments:

SILLYA said...

Maybe a bit of explaining for those that are not aware of his real name-- as "Gym Shorts" could be confused with the piece of clothing a person would wear on the lower half of the body while attending the gym or athletic event. Thus causing confusions as to why you would refer to him as a piece of clothing...

wRitErsbLock said...

heh

btw, i have some useful links in my side bar, includun this for your é needs
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_13.html

Lotte said...

I don't know about explaining his name further - I hate to compromise his identity. Just know that is what we called him.

Thanks for the info WB, I need all the help I can get with technical stuff - not really my best area of expertise! :-)