You can see a few of the spots on his foot and leg here but the flash makes them a little hard to see. The ones on his thigh were dime-size and purple.
I called my mom and asked her opinion but it wasn't anything she was familiar with. She suggested we go to the doctor which I had already decided we would do in the morning. After I got the boys to bed, I started thinking about the spots combined with the pain in the legs and feet and decided it sounded alot like HSP. Since my niece had had this several years ago, I called Sillya to ask her opinion. During the course of the conversation, we discovered that scrotal pain is common in boys with HSP and I was about 80% sure at that point. First thing this morning, I called the doctor and we went in at 9am. It wasn't our regular pediatrician but another doctor in the same office. I told him the symptoms and he began to look him over. As he did so, I noticed how swollen SP's feet and ankles were. The doctor said he was pretty sure he knew what it was but wanted to do a urine test to confirm it. As he left the exam room, I was 100% sure he was going to tell us HSP after the urine test. After the test was complete, he came back and pronounced it HSP and started telling how rare it was and began to tell me about it. I told him I was familiar with it because of my niece.
But since all three of you - my faithful readers, you! - are probably not familiar with HSP, I'll give you a brief overview. It's basically an allergic reaction to a virus the patient has had recently. Doctors still aren't sure of the exact trigger but that is the best guess. The result is an inflammation of the blood vessels which then bleed into the skin causing a rash (which in fancy doctor-talk is called purpura. Henoch and Schonlein are the doctor who identified the ailment and his teacher.) The intestines and kidneys may also bleed. The skin rash - which generally occurs on the legs, buttocks and elbows - is usually accompanied by pain and swelling in the joints and abdominal pain. There isn't really a treatment for it other than pain management and the symptoms go away on their own in approximately a month. Rarely, kidney damage and/or failure occur. We have been quite fortunate thus far in that Griffin's symptoms haven't been much more painful than what you would expect with a serious flu. My niece was in incredible pain and had severe swelling.
Bottom line: we need to visit the doctor once a week for the next month to three months to test SP's urine and blood pressure and then once a month for up to six months until it is certain that he is better. I'm actually somewhat relieved that it's not flea bites as the Mister suggested!
But supposedly things happen in three's, so I am a bit leery of what's around the corner. I have been been able to deal with the first two occurrences and I'm hoping that whatever happens next, I will be able to continue to trust in the Lord to help me through. Any prayers or encouraging thoughts are welcome.
P.S. I could also use some advice on how to convince the Mister not to treat SP as if he were going to die tomorrow. He tends to be a little pessimistic at the best of times and all he has been able to see is that kidney failure is a possibility. I'm not sure that I can handle one more despairing look or depressed sigh when he looks at SP. On the plus side, I can probably convince him to handle a few more bedtimes!




4 comments:
Aww, poor little guy! I hope it doesn't get worse and gets better quickly. If there's anything I can do, let me know! In the meantime, I'll keep you in my prayers so that Act III is easy to handle.
Prayers coming your way. If I can help let me know. I'm curious about what unpleasant thing happened on Sunday...but I'll probably call you to give you the third degree. *j/k*
I'm here if you need anything and I know you know the number...
You said that the boys had been sick, but I had no idea that bad. I hope they get better soon.....poor little dudes!
Poor little guy! I am sooo sorry! I have never heard of this before..I am glad you made me aware just in case it ever comes my way..like you said, it is rare so most likely I won't see it, but on the off-chance...
Send him our love!
Post a Comment